Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Should I stay or should I go...

My kids tease me and say that I have a song for every situation.  I'm realizing as I continue this blogging thing that they are right.  Music is probably my greatest source of inspiration so I guess that makes sense. So, this time it's "Should I Stay or Should I Go" by The Clash.  Side note: that song was released in 1981- I can't believe it's 30 years old! 

I have found myself in this place time and time again throughout life.  Where I feel (that word right there will get you in trouble most of the time) that it's time to move on but something is just not quite clicking.  It's like I know there is something out there but it's accompanied by this feeling of unrest.  I have this sense that there is something more to be had or to be done...something out there that I should be pursuing but I'm not quite sure what.  Other times I have known exactly where I wanted to go or at least where I believed I should be going but something was stopping me from making the move.  The doors were just not opening as I had hoped.  And so many, many times I have found myself asking this question, "Should I stay or should I go?"

Last night I was reading Genesis 26.  The chapter opens up with Isaac getting ready to move to Egypt. The land he was living in was experiencing a famine and history tells us that at the same time Egypt was prospering with plenty of water flowing from the Nile and no signs of famine.  I probably would have been anxious to move there too if I was him!  Feast or famine?  No brainer right? Sometimes that place you are just itching to move to looks SO much better than where you are right now.  But here is what God spoke to him and I knew He was whispering it to me last night.  He said, "Do not go down to Egypt; live in the land where I tell you to live. Stay in this land for a while and I will be with you and will bless you."  God knew that eventually it would be time for Isaac to move on and that there was great blessing in store for him but it was not time yet. 

So the question becomes what do we do in the meantime?  We are not being released to move on so what do we do?  I know what I do a lot of the time.  I pout.  I do the bare minimum where I am.  I stay but I'm not happy about it.  I resist putting down roots of any kind because in my mind my bags are already packed.  But that's not what Isaac did.  And by the way - in verse 8 it tells us that he was there for a LONG time!

Here's what Isaac did.

He planted crops.

Maybe this is where the expression "bloom where you're planted" comes from.

He planted crops and in that same year reaped a HUNDREDFOLD. God blessed him for listening and not pushing forward before it was time.  The story goes on to say that he became very rich and his wealth continued to grow until he was very wealthy! Pretty good stuff.

As I read this passage last night God really spoke to me personally but this morning as I was praying I just felt that this was a word for someone else too.

Is there somewhere you'd rather be but God is telling you to stay in the land that you're in for a while? Be encouraged today that He is with you and He WILL bless you! That's one of the things I love most about Him ~ He is faithful to deliver on His promises.

Feel free to leave a comment...it would encourage me to know that I am not the only one that thinks the grass is greener on the other side at times ;)

13 comments:

  1. thank you for this. it hurts to accept it- that's how i know i needed it. love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) not sure who you are "anonymous" but I'm sure I love you too! Sometimes it's easier once you hunker down and come to terms with it. Hold on to the promise!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tracey! :) There are also those to whom the Lord is saying CLEARLY, as clear as the nose on their faces, to go, but they don't see what's on the other side. They want no part of it and wrestle with the idea of moving on, leaving people and places behind.

    The bottom line in both your and my scenario is that there is NO SATISFACTION outside of God's will for us.

    What a comfort it is to know that the Lord goes before us, and will be with us WHEREVER we go...or STAY! ~ It's all good. We'd be fools to think our plans are better...

    HE PLANTED CROPS really hits home...The Lord had ME go, but he surely wants me to lay down roots and plant some crops, too.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - great blog Tracey!! I have been battling with this lately - going back and forth on what I'm supposed to do and have been doing only the "bare" minimum in what God has called me to do thinking He would be taking me out of it soon anyway. I don't know what God has in store but I am encouraged to continue on whole heartedly until He tells me otherwise! Thanks Tracey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jodi! YES - when He says MOVE we need to MOVE regardless of how scary that may be!! Thanks for that insight ~ equally important. Good to hear from you!

    Jen - Go kick some butt! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool article. Makes me thankful for God moving me to a place where I thought I would never stay. I know "move" can mean a lot of things, but I'm thinking of it geographically. I used to live in one of the biggest cities in the world and I couldn't see past myself. Then God lead me, practically blindfolded, to a humbler place and is slowly revealing to me the bigger picture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great word Tracey! It has been difficult not knowing what His next step is for us. We want to move, stay, go somewhere, do something else, anything that makes us feel better, more important, more secure. Unfortunately, it's so easy to slip back and forget who He is and the rest we find in Him and His plan. We become so complacent in our walk, sometimes, that the "itch" to do something different without our Father's consent becomes the focus. Thankfully, that ache and longing of His Spirit is still inside of us, a yearning for simply, Him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome word...I really needed to read this. Thank you my friend;-)....and by the way, this is one of the things God wants you to do. The fruit is falling off the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's also so NICE when He just wants you to stay and grow where you're planted. It's so simple and relaxing. There's no stress. When God wants you to move He'll let you know. Meanwhile, there's nothing to "figure" out, fret over, or worry about. You just gotta work what you already got and that's not bad or hard. It's sort of a nice relaxing break...before the next wave of..."Oh wow!! God...you really want me to do that??? Can I even DO that??"! So enjoy the season of peacefully and methodically growing deep roots.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tori - love the "rest we find in Him" need to remember that! Thanks for posting!

    Joanna - miss you and yes the realization made me take a deep breath and not fret! It is sort of relaxing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel as though this word was for me, and it came in God's perfect timing as always. I absolutely needed this encouragement, and validation. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have always found, for me, that in times of restlessness that it drives me even closer to seek God for answers . . .moving forward or waiting on God is all part of the journey with Him - and in a particular time of my life a scripture spoke to me - Deut 11:13-15 "And it shall come about, if you listen obediently to my commandments which I am commanding you today, to love the Lord your God and to serve Him with all your heart and all your soul, that He will give the rain for your land in its season , the early and late rain, that you may gather in your grain and your new wine and your oil." The early rain (which in the Middle East is in the fall) prepares the soil for future crops, it's a time of teaching, etc. The latter rain(which in the Middle East is in spring) it matures, produces the crops. So, when I'm struggling with what, where or why, I have to simply be obedient and trust that He has something He wants to show me and wait for His "showers" of teaching, healing and wisdom

    ReplyDelete
  13. Trish. - I love that! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete